The Maasai Mara Conservancies profiled on this site adhere to the following rules when viewing game. These rules ensure that we conserve the Mara Ecosystem whilst ensuring that guests enjoy the best safari experience possible. We ask our guests to read the rules below and adhere to them when driving with approved guides or in guests' own vehicles.
- All vehicles should keep to graded roads and permanent tracks to limit plant damage and soil erosion. The speed limit is 40 kph.
- To see wild animals behave naturally you should remain at least 25 meters away.
- To reduce disturbances to wildlife, no more than five vehicles are allowed at an animal sighting. In the event of more than five vehicles being present, the viewing time per vehicle is reduced to 10 minutes and newly arriving vehicles must wait their turn at a minimum distance of 100m.
- We ask our guests to respect wildlife. Do not harass animals by forcing them into movement, blocking their path, or following them too closely.
- Viewing of cubs must be treated with sensitivity and may only be viewed when the mother is present. Always keep an extra safe distance from dens, burrows and nests.
- Please lower your voices and remain calm whilst observing wildlife; loud voices, clapping, or cheering disturbs wildlife and is prohibited. Please also switch off the vehicle engines, radios and mobile phones at all wildlife sightings.
- When close to wildlife, for safety reasons, as well as to limit wildlife disturbances, please always remain inside your vehicle.
- Do not feed animals.
- Night game drives are organized in designated areas and red filters should be used on spotlights. Vehicles should return to camp no later than 10 p.m.
- You are welcome to experience the pristine landscape more closely on a picnic lunch or a sundowner at specified, scenic spots. However, only leave your vehicle in an open area, stay with your guide and remain within a 30 m radius of your vehicle at all times.
- Please ensure all waste is brought back to your camp or lodge.
- No smoking.
Smoking is not permitted on any safari activities, unless at designated rest spots. Please take care not to offend non-smokers and to collect cigarette butts for proper disposal back at camp.
- Conservancy rangers protect the wildlife and the environment. Please respect their work and cooperate with them when requested.